“Alexa, tell me about the internet’s screenless future.”
Greetings from SXSW Interactive 2018! I just attended a session about voice search and the future of an internet without screens.
Do you have a voice-enabled speaker in your home? If not, chances are that you are part of the majority of Americans who have at least interacted with a digital voice assistant like Alexa or Google.
By 2020 it’s expected that 30% of all web browsing sessions will be done without a screen. This phenomenon has the potential to change the way we browse the internet, create content, make purchases and interact on social media.
Here are the 5 key takeaways from the session I’ve Got No Screens: Internet’s Screenless Future:
- We Will Likely See a Shift From Mobile-First to Voice-First Web Design
- Screens Will Transition Into Speakers
- The Visual Web Will Become The Audio Web
- In General, Users Will Transform Back From a “Facedown Lifestyle” to “Chin Up”
How do you plan to help your brand make the shift to a screenless internet? As an agency, we are excited to see what the possibilities hold for our future digital strategies.
Near the end of the session, the presenter, Chris Ferrel, made 5 predictions that will result from the rise of screenless internet:
- Your brand’s voice and personality will be under the microscope–more than ever before.
- Customer service will be complemented by voice assistants and users will enjoy it.
- Websites will adapt to voice search.
- Products will be sold at a much higher rate via voice then they are today.
- 50% of all paid search ads will be served to voice searches.